WASHING CERTAIN FABRICS - SILK

You thought I ran out of info, inspiration or just walked right a writers block isn't it? In yo face! I'm still here.
Anyway, back to my lovers. I'm so sorry I’ve been on a hiatus. I'm sure you've been waiting for me to tell you about a certain fabric and I've been away. Please don't hate me.

I'm back! Sorta. I want to launch into a whole sob story about why I've been MIA but I’d rather save you all the stories that touch and go straight to business.

Newbies, I suggest you check this out before going on. It's not necessary, but it's useful for a proper understanding of why this is being written in the first place.

Now that everyone is following, - I hope - let's go into today's business.

SILK CARE

You know that soft piece of clothing that’s basically shiny. It's most likely a scarf, blouse, night dress or maybe even sheets. Yes! That one. That's silk.
Here’s a few DON’Ts for silk: 
  • Don't dry in direct sunlight - I'm sure many of us didn't know this and would most likely still proceed to ignore it after reading this. Well, I'll have you know that that's the reason your silk clothes get faded.
  • Don't wash with chlorine bleach - This damages the fibres of the fabric.
  • Don't tumble dry - You should know silk is very delicate and high temperatures not only shrink it, but can also damage it.
  • Don't use detergents that aren't mild or for delicates - Again, delicate little silk can't handle it.
  • Don't wash with heavy articles like clothing - Things like Jeans should be far away from silk during laundry.
Quite a lot of DON’Ts right? Well, here's a few DOs: 
  • Do make sure to check the label for special care - Not all silk articles have them, but it's important to follow for those who do.
  • Do check for colourfastness - Some silk articles bleed their colours, others don't. You don't want to wash those that bleed together with others because we all know what a mess that can turn out to be. To check, dab the silk with a wet white cloth. If any colour leaks on to the white cloth, then you know it bleeds and needs what I call ’A private wash party’. 
  • Do use a towel to soak up excess water after the washing and rinsing.
If the care label says ’Dry Clean’ a little self wash that's done properly and follows the rules above won't hurt but if it says ’Dry Clean Only’ then run your pretty little ass to the cleaners. Also, if you're hand washing, you don’t necessarily have to scrub the clothes between your hands or against each other. You could just soak for 3 to 5 minutes and then agitate the clothes (ie submerge and pull out the clothes repeatedly in the water) gently. That should remove any stain that isn't major. 
There you have it.

Credit: Tide.com

Do you home wash your silk? What are thd special ways to wash your silk? Comment👇🏼

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Entertainment Profiler. Designed by OddThemes & Best Wordpress Themes 2018